Throughout the test exercises handlers may use praise & encouragement. Food & toys are not permitted during any of the exercises except during the recall where a toy or food may be used as an incentive.
- Road Safety: The handler will tell the dog to wait whilst they open the car door & attach the lead. The handler will then invite the dog to get out (if the dog is wearing a car harness, this must be unclipped & the dog told to wait while the lead is being attached). The handler will then walk to a gate with the dog on lead, ask the dog to wait, open the gate & walk through (inviting the dog through with them). The handler will then close the gate behind them.
- Accepting a friendly stranger: The Tester will shake hands with the handler, then greet & pat the dog (not on the head). The dog should not jump on the Tester or shy away.
- Walking responsibly: The handler will walk a set course with the dog on their left side. Sits, downs & stands will be included (the dog is to walk without pulling)
- Sit or down stay: The handler will leave the dog in a sit or down position, move 5 metres away & wait for 30 seconds before returning to the dog’s side (the dog must stay in position until the handler has returned)
- Release & recall:The dog will be released in an enclosed area. After a short time, the handler will call the dog to return. The dog must return promptly to the handler so the lead can be reattached.
- Supervised separation: The Tester will ask the handler if they can hold the dog. The handler will hand over the lead & walk out of sight. The Tester will examine the dog’s ID tags. After 1 minute the handler will return. The dog does not have to stay in one position but may not continually whine, bark or pull on the lead. The Tester may talk to the dog but should not engage in excessive talking, patting or management attempts. This exercise demonstrates that the dog can be left with a friendly person & will maintain good training & good manners.