Club and training FAQs
Where do you train?
We train at the Dog Rings within St Ives Showground, Mona Vale Road, St Ives on Sydney’s Upper North Shore. There is plenty of free, onsite parking next to our training grounds.
Click here to find us on Google Maps »
Do I need to book in advance?
While you don’t need to book in advance for the 3pm Classes, you do need to complete the membership application below. Then you may attend on a new member’s intake day. See below. All other classes are by arrangement with the Discipline Co-ordinator.
You are welcome to join the club on any New Members intake day – check calendar here »
What details do I need to supply?
First, complete your membership application. See link below.
At your first training sessions, you’ll need to bring your dog’s current veterinary vaccination certificate. Please ensure you read dog vaccination information below.
What do I need for class?
- Flat collar with identification : Your dog must wear a flat collar with identification. Should you have difficulty controlling your dog on a flat collar your Instructor will advise you on a suitable soft training collar or training harness, which may be purchased from the club shop. The use of check chains is actively discouraged by this club.
- Fabric lead : A fabric lead approx 750mm – 1.2m long. (NO extenda leads please).
- Clothing : Please wear suitable casual clothes and sensible closed in shoes. No high heels, scuffs, sandals, thongs or bare feet.
- Treats : Tasty, soft food treats for rewards e.g. cheese, cooked sausage, chicken – cut into tiny pieces. A ‘treat pouch’, available at the club shop, will prevent your pocket becoming unpleasant! Food in a plastic bag is not recommended as it is too hard to get food out of it quickly.
- Poo bags : Bring enough plastic ‘pick up poo’ bag(s).
At what age can my puppy start?
The earliest puppies are able to join the club would be 14 weeks of age. They must have had a C3 vaccination (distemper, hepatitis, parvovirus) administered at or after 12 weeks of age. The club then requires a delay of two weeks after vaccination before they can join classes.
Are there classes for older dogs?
We cater for dogs of all ages providing obedience training from beginners to trialling standard.
To start agility training, dogs must be 12 months of age or over and have reached 4th Class obedience & must pass an entry test.
What is the Club’s vaccination policy?
Puppies: Before enrolling, NSDTC requires a minimum C3 (distemper, hepatitis, parvovirus) vaccination administered after the age of 12 weeks for all puppies.
Adult dogs: All adult dogs joining or renewing, must have had at least a C3 vaccination administered after 10 months of age. Triennial (3-yearly) C3 vaccination is considered acceptable thereafter.
On what days do you train?
Click the links below to view training days / times or visit our calendar.
Note: Dogs must be at least 12 months old & have reached fourth-class level in obedience at the club before starting introductory agility training.
How much does membership cost?
Membership is renewable yearly, as follows:
Full Year Membership – $140.00
When joining before 1st July.
Membership period from 1st December – 31st December
Half Year Membership – $60.00
When joining after 30th June.
Membership period from 1st July to 31st December
If training more than one dog there is an additional fee of $20 per annum extra for second dog. Third or more dogs are free.
$30 per annum (no half yearly concessions)
Must contribute 20 hours or more per annum.
Pensioners, Juniors and Non-Training Members
$60 per annum (no half yearly concessions)
Annual Renewal of Membership is due at the start of each year.
Is training on when it is raining?
Yes, but in extreme weather (rainfall and temperature) as per club policy, lessons may be cancelled, and members notified on the website and Facebook page.
For Obedience classes (Saturday afternoon) a decision will be made by 11am that morning if training is cancelled.
What happens when I miss a class?
No problem, just resume training the following week or when you are able.
Join the Club
There is an initial 4-week program for dogs 6 months of age & over and for puppies 6 months of age or under. It is advisable that you plan to attend each week of the 4-week programs or you may miss some important lessons.