The Club offers Scent Work Classes on Saturday from 12-1 and 4-6pm.
The new companion dog sport of Scent Work is designed around the fact that dogs have an extraordinary sense of smell that has been put to use over many years professionally in the detection of many different odours in a range of environments.
NSDTC will be offering classes in Scent Work on Saturdays from November 2021.
These classes are to be in line with the ANKC Rules for the Conduct of Scent Work Trials.
The four elements of Scent Work training are:
Interior, Exterior, Containers and Vehicles. Dogs will be taught to work in all elements at all levels.
Level 1 & 2 Classes will be held from 4-6pm on Saturdays (excluding General Meeting and other non-training dates) in Dog Hut B and surrounds
Level 3, 4 & 5 Classes will be held from 12-1pm on Saturdays (excluding non-training dates) in Dog Hut B and surrounds
Five levels of classes will be offered:
Level 1 Beginners (6-week block using (primary)food)
Level 2 Introduction to Odour 1 (6-week block where Birch odour is introduced)
Level 3 Introduction to Odour 2 (4-week block where Anise odour is introduced
Level 4 Introduction to Odours 3 & 4 (4-week block where Clove and Cypress odours are introduced)
Level 5 Advanced class for Triallers (4-week block where searches will be for all 4 odours)
- All participants need to be fully vaccinated and current club members.
- No prerequisites are required of the dog
- All class numbers are restricted to 6 handler/dog teams.
Teams should be available for the entire block (6 weeks for Levels 1 & 2 or 4 weeks for Levels 3, 4 and 5). If not, they may go on a 12 week waiting list for the next available block at their level.
- Bookings for blocks of classes by email only will be accepted (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Dates for classes will be advertised monthly on the Club’s Website and Facebook page.
- Level 1 (Beginners) and 2 (Introduction to Odour (Birch)) blocks of 6-week classes will alternate, as will Level 3 (Odour 2 (Anise)), Level 4 (Odour 3 & 4 (Clove & Cypress)) and Level 5 (Advanced (Trailers)) blocks of 4-week classes. Each class level will be offered once in every 3-month period.
Promotion tests are required to move up levels.
Promotion to Level 2 – Find a blind Primary hide in Interior element
Promotion to Level 3 – Find a blind Birch hide in Container element
Promotion to Level 4 – Find a blind Anise hide in Container element
Promotion to Level 5 – Find blind Clove and Cypress hides in Container element