Where do you train?
We train at St Ives Showground, Mona Vale Rd St Ives on the Dog Rings.
Do I need to book in advance?
You are welcome to join the club on any New Members intake day which is every second Saturday that we train, between 2.15 and 2.45pm. See the calendar for details. There is also a facility to join online.
What details do I need to supply ?
You will need to bring your dog’s current veterinary vaccination certificate.
Either the print out from your online application or your completed Membership Application & Dog Profile. (Please print off these pages and complete them prior to your first lesson if you are not joining online. If you are joining online please just print and complete the Dog Profile form and bring that to your first lesson).
What do I need for class?
- Your dog must wear a flat collar with identification.
- Should you have difficulty controlling your dog on a flat collar your Instructor will advise you on a suitable soft training collar, head halter or training harness, which may be purchased from the club shop. The use of check chains is actively discouraged by this club.
- A fabric lead approx 750mm – 1.2m long. (NO extenda leads please).
- Suitable casual clothes. Sensible shoes – no high heels, scuffs, sandals, thongs or bare feet.
- Tasty, soft food treats for rewards e.g. cheese, cooked sausage, chicken – cut into tiny pieces. A ‘treat pouch’, available at the club shop, will prevent your pocket becoming unpleasant! Food in a plastic bag is not recommended as it is too hard to get food out of it quickly.
- Plastic ‘pick up poo’ bag(s).
- All the patience in the world.
At what age can my puppy start?
Puppies are able to join the club 2 weeks after their final vaccination, which is usually around 18 weeks of age
Are there classes for older dogs?
We cater for dogs of all ages providing obedience training from beginners to trialling standard.
To start agility training, dogs must be 12 months of age or over and have reached 3rd Class obedience & must pass an entry test.
On what days do you train?
Obedience – Saturday afternoons
Rally Obedience – Saturday afternoons & Monday nights
Agility (all levels) – Saturday mornings (enrolment on Saturday afternoons only)
Agility – (advanced only) Monday night
How much does it cost?
For those those joining:
- 1 June to 31 October – $120
- 1 November to 31 January – $80
- 1 February to 31 May – $60
- If training more than one dog – $20 per annum extra for second dog. Third or more dogs are free.
- Instructors, Committee (who contribute 20 hours or more per annum), Pensioners, Juniors and Non-Training members – $30 (no half yearly concessions)
Annual Renewal of Membership is due 30 June each year.
Renewals can be done by:
If you need to update contact details such as email address, home address or phone number during the year you can also Log In and update these yourself at any time.
Is training on when it is raining?
Yes, but in case of extreme weather, training will be cancelled. Please check the “Training Cancellation” box on the website homepage or our club Facebook page if in doubt .
For Obedience classes (Saturday afternoon) a decision will be made by 10am that morning if training is cancelled.
What happens when I miss a class?
No problem, just resume training the following week or when you are able.
There is an initial 4 week program for dogs 9 months of age & over and a 6 week program for puppies under 9 months of age. It is advisable that you plan to attend each week of the 4 or 6 week programs or you may miss some important lessons.